Job Listing: Senior Book Designer
Figure 1 Publishing is seeking a fulltime senior book designer.
Who We Are
Figure 1 Publishing is Canada’s leading publisher of high-quality illustrated books, with a focus on art, architecture, photography, design, and food + drink. We also publish business books in the areas of finance, management, leadership, and corporate memoir. We are a team of experienced publishing professionals who love working together and with our authors, collaborating to produce stunning and important books, and sharing those books with readers throughout Canada and around the world. We are driven by quality, continuous improvement, and having fun in everything we do.
Who We are Looking For
The successful candidate will have a passion for beautifully designed, well-edited, well-printed books, and strong organizational and excellent communication skills. The senior book designer will report directly to our creative director and will become a vital member of our editorial and production team. We are looking for a candidate who is self-starting, curious, keen to grow as a book designer and an excellent collaborator. The senior designer will be responsible for conceptualizing and designing eight to twelve books per year (depending on the mix of illustrated and text-driven books) including cover design, interior design, colour corrections, inputting proofreading corrections, and prepress file preparation. In addition, the successful candidate will design sales and marketing materials as required.
- A minimum of three years of experience designing books, in particular high quality illustrated books (i.e. art, architecture, design, cookbooks, illustrated history, photography) and/or trade friendly business books.
- A degree in graphic design, and/or publishing or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated project/file management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a deadline-driven environment.
- Expert knowledge of InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of history, traditions and trends of type design and typography.
- Understanding of the theory, skills and abilities of colour correction and pre-press file preparation.
- Familiar with proofreading mark-up and experience working with marked up PDF proofs.
- Ability to collaborate directly with authors and partners, and with the Figure 1 team in a remote working environment.
- WordPress experience and designing for web is a bonus.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com by December 31, 2021. Please put “Senior Book Designer” in the subject line. Applications and queries will be kept confidential. Figure 1 encourages applications from all qualified individuals, and we value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviewing will take place in early January. The position starts January 31, 2022.
What we offer
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The expected salary range is $55,000 to $65,000 per year. Figure 1 also offers a health benefits package.
We currently operate in a remote work environment and will consider applicants Canada wide.