Reading List for National Indigenous Peoples Day
Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day! We invite you to celebrate in your own way, whether that’s attending a local event, supporting an Indigenous artist or reading a book by an Indigenous author.
- A Grandmother Begins the Story by Michelle Porter
- Namwayut—We Are All One by Chief Robert Joseph
- VenCo by Cherie Dimaline
- Unbroken by Angela Sterritt
- Our Voice of Fire by Brandi Morin
- Avenue of Champions by Conor Kerr
- Bad Cree by Jessica Johns
For other titles, please see our Indigenous Art + Culture section that shares and celebrates the art, knowledge, stories, and languages of Indigenous communities.
Some other suggestions for today:
- Attend an Indigenous Peoples Day event near you
- Buy from an Indigenous artisan
- Check out new music by Indigenous artists and bands like The Trade-Offs, Elisapie Isaac and Logan Staats
- Make a donation to the Indian Residential School Survivors Society
- Sign up for a free course such as Indigenous Canada at the University of Alberta
Figure 1 Publishing is located in the traditional, unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples. We recognize that British Columbia and Canada were created through organized dispossession and colonial violence, and we commit to work responsibly and constructively with Indigenous authors and contributors to help create a vital present and future for Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities living on these lands.