“CinCin” Spaghetti al Ragù Recipe
Spaghetti al Ragù – Veal and Pork Bolognese with Pancetta and Parmesan
- 6 oz (170 g) unsalted butter (3/4 cup/185 mL)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb (220 g) pancetta, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 2 1/4 lb (1 kg) ground pork
- 2 1/4 lb (1 kg) ground veal
- 3 cups (750 mL) white wine
- 5 cups (1.25 L) whole milk
- 4 cups (1 L) canned peeled San Marzano tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter, for finishing
- 1 lb (450 g) dried spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for finishing
In a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium. Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and pancetta. Add a pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn up the heat to high, and add the pork and veal, breaking up the lumps with a spoon.
When the mixture starts to brown, add the wine, and cook until it has completely evaporated.
Add the milk, tomatoes and stock. Check the seasoning, and add pepper and more salt, if necessary. Cook at a gentle simmer for 6 hours, or until the sauce is thick and oily.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, allowing a little water to cling to the pasta.
Add the pasta to the bolognese along with a good spoonful of butter to finish.
To serve, divide between 4 bowls, and offer Parmesan to sprinkle over the top.