Excerpt: Watermelon, Goat Cheese, and Beet Salad
What better way to kick start the new year than with a nutritious mouth watering recipe taken from Lauren Klukas‘s The Complete Plate: 120 Recipes • 30 Meal Plans • A Stronger, Healthier, and Happier You? This must-have cookbook shows that weight maintenance, and weight loss, can be achieved through a balanced diet of ingredients that come together to meet both nutritional and caloric demands. Featuring meal plans for diets of 1,500, 2,000, and 2,500 calories, it is a collection of 30 meal plans with each day perfectly balanced to provide 100% of your daily macro and micro nutrient needs.*
* Based on current daily recommended intake (DRI) values.
Watermelon, Goat Cheese, and Beet Salad
440 kcal (1500) – * note: the cookbook features 2000 kcal and 2500 kcal measurements.
For the salad
Beets, cubed 1 1/2 (123 g)
Spinach 2 cups (60 g)
Arugula 1 cup (20 g)
Watermelon, cubed 1/2 cup (76 g)
Soft goat cheese, crumbled 20 g
Walnuts, toasted and chopped 2 Tbsp (12 g)
Chicken breast, cooked and chopped 75 g
For the dressing
Balsamic vinegar 1 tsp
Honey 1 tsp
Garlic powder 1/4 tsp
Onion powder 1/4 tsp
Safflower oil 1 1/2 tsp
Portion 1 Tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread beets on the prepared baking sheet, spray with cooking spray, and bake for 10–20 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, mix spinach and arugula in a large bowl. Top with beets, watermelon, goat cheese, walnuts, and chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, garlic powder and onion powder. Whisking continuously, gradually pour in oil until emulsified. Drizzle over salad and serve.