Thanksgiving Recipe: Chocolate Banana Cream Pie in San Antonio Cooks
Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Serves 8
This silky-smooth chocolate cream pie with banana whipped cream topping is the perfect complement to a Texas BBQ feast. Samia adds, “It is a fan favorite every year when we offer our annual Thanksgiving meal orders.”
- 32 chocolate sandwich cookies (preferably Oreos)
- 1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter, melted
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 12 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) + 3 Tbsp butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 13 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (3.4-oz) box instant banana pudding mix
- Dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Pulse cookies in a food processor until coarsely ground. Continue to process for another 15 seconds, until finely crumbled. Add butter and pulse to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a 12-inch pie tin and press firmly into an even layer along the bottom and sides. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from scorching.
- In a bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks, until smooth and creamy. Quickly whisk in 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture (to temper the egg yolks). Slowly whisk tempered yolk mixture into the pan of cream. Reduce to medium heat and whisk continuously for 30 seconds, until the mixture thickens and large bubbles form on top. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk in butter and chocolate chips, until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it onto filling’s surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours, until filling is set and chilled.
- In a chilled bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip all ingredients except the chocolate for 1-3 minutes, until soft peaks form. (Alternatively, use a hand mixer.) Spread the mixture over top of pie.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and serve.
Excerpted from San Antonio Cooks: Favorite Recipes from Local Chefs and Restaurants. Copyright © 2022 by Julia Celeste Rosenfeld. Recipe copyright © 2022 by South BBQ & Kitchen. Excerpted with permission from Figure 1 Publishing. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.